Just for a bit of fun I decided to put together my favourite 18 holes for golf in Phuket, which when you take time to think about the options, its not that easy!
- Hole 1, Blue Canyon– Not the easiest opening hole and a fairly tight tee-shot. Hitting the fairway is a must if you want to get your second close on this severe undulating green.
- Hole 2, Loch Palm – Good par 5 winding its way round Crystal Lake. Water in play all the way to the green, but reachable in two for the long brave hitters
- Hole 3, Red Mountain – Spectacular par 3 where the designer had made the very best of the rocks and the natural surrounds
- Hole 4, Mission Hills – Probably the best view in Phuket, but a great little par 3 with outstanding views over Phang Nga Bay with spectacular islands jutting out of the water
- Hole 5, Blue Canyon – Tough uphill par 4 with trouble down the right and out of bounds left. Semi blind approach with the green sloping way from front to back. (more 3 puts here than anywhere!!)
- Hole 6, Red Mountain – Scenic long par 4 played from an elevated tee with a shallow green well protected by bunkers
- Hole 7, Loch Palm – Short par 4 with a fairway wood or long iron off the tee to position yourself for a short iron to a small green well protected by a front bunker
- Hole 8, Laguna Golf – Challenging slight dog leg par with water down the left and trees and bunkers down the right if you try to take off too much. A good drive will leave you a medium iron into the green.
- Hole 9, Red Mountain – Elevated inviting tee-shot towards the clubhouse the premium on accuracy
- Hole 10, Blue Canyon – Only a short four, but a positional tee-shot is required to avoid the numerous bunkers down the left leaving a wedge into a well protected green.
- Hole 11, Red Mountain – Medium length par 4, with a choice of two fairways. Semi blind second shot to a very tight green.
- Hole 12, Laguna Golf – Short 90 degree dog leg right with a demanding tee-shot over the corner of a Laguna. The more you cut off gives you only a short shot in the green, good birdie opportunity
- Hole 13, Blue Canyon – Made famous by Tiger Woods driving it in tournament play but for average golfers a tough drive over the Canyon leaving a short iron in to very small undulating green
- Hole 14, Blue Canyon – Par 3 signature hole with an island green shaped to the country of Thailand. The tee is sheltered by the hotel so often you cant feel the wind, very dangerous hole!
- Hole 15, Blue Canyon – Genuine 3 shot par 5, with a very tight tee-shot, second shot over water leaving a short shot into a severe slopping green
- Hole 16, Blue Canyon Lakes – Well designed dog leg left with a good carry needed to cut off the distance. Hitting the fairway is a must to have any chance of making the green in two.
- Hole 17, Phuket Country Club – Most people would be surprised with many picking the Canyon 17th. But from the back tee, a well struck medium iron is required often into a cross wind onto a green surrounded by water
- Hole 18, Blue Canyon Lakes Course – No real surprise here, an outstanding par 4 where you could run up any sort of number. A tight tee-shot and often a downhill lie for your second over water to a very shallow green
Watch out for the worst holes in Phuket next time!